Tuesday, August 17, 2010

On being Spiritually Autistic

I posted the diagnostic criteria for autism because I think it is crucial in understanding my self-diagnosis. It has become clear to me over the last 13 years that my daughter is a reflection of my own autism. This is not to say she is autistic because of me. This is to say her journey parallels my spiritual journey. I am better able to understand her struggle when I look at my spiritual life. I assure you I meet the full criteria for autism as it relates to my spiritual development and transformation. I pray to be as patient and loving a parent to my daughter, as God is to me. My hope is to chronicle lessons revealed to me in this journey. I challenge you to apply the developmental delays, social difficulties, repetitive behaviors and overall struggle to express and accept relationship, to your own life and specifically, to your relationship with God.

2 comments:

  1. talk about me wanting to remain in denial. I read those criteria, and think to myself, let's just skip on past to the next one. Words that hit me are "lack, impaired, failure, develop, abnormal". But I think it's #4, lack of social or emotional reciprocity, or if you put it by the spiritual aspect, lack of spiritual reciprocity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The note in the description of #4 gives me great pause. My mind is thinking of too many examples both in my life and in my Christian community/family...I may have to wait to articulate these wonderings.

    ReplyDelete